Latest posts
Posted on 20 June 2023

Custom docker image in AWS ECR used in GitHub Actions

Running a test suite in your CI pipeline is critical but I was recently tasked with getting a test suite running without having the luxury of using database factories or seeders for a variety of reasons. Another approach which I decided to use, was to pre-seed a database with test data and create a custom docker image.

Posted on 26 August 2022

Moving from GitLab pipeline to GitHub Actions for CI/CD

I've been using my self-hosted GitLab instance for my git repos and pipelines for 5 or so years now, but things have changed and I've decided I no longer want to run my self-hosted instance any more. It's purely for hobby/self projects and only accessed by myself, however, one bonus of this is that I also self-host a dockerised GitLab runner that performed all of my CI/CD duties, including the deployment stage, which is the important part.

Posted on 29 April 2021

Integrating HaveIBeenPwned into Laravel Fortify

The HaveIBeenPwned service provided by Troy Hunt contains a whole trove of breach information. It enables you to look up single email address, whole domains and whether a password has been seen in a data breach, for example. It's the latter one that we're interested in for this feature. Let's implement this using the icawebdesign/hibp-php framework-agostic composer package.

Posted on 21 October 2018

PHP, Docker, Xdebug and the missing local variables

I've made a switch in the last 12 months to use Docker as my local development environment for my PHP applications. One of the greatest modules for PHP IMHO, is Xdebug. Many moons ago, I used to frantically hack in var_dump(...); exit; calls to see what a particular variable, object, array, etc contained.